Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Session 4 HW deadline extension

Update: Folks, there seems to be a widespread misconception that there is a MDS component in the HW for session 4. No, there is not! MDS requires a lot of work prepping data into the right format for entry, which is why I did not give out any MDS HW.

Hi all, I received a few emails and this one sums the issue up rather well:

"Dear Professor,
In view of the multiple job postings/deadlines this week, we just wanted to check with you if there is any possibility of extending the deadline for HW 4, to Saturday Nov. 3rd.
This is an important assignment that I would like to attempt with full sincerity and not under time pressures. Will be very grateful if you can accommodate the request."
My response:
Hi S,

I've received a similar request from a few other students as well.
Normally I would accede to this request. However, my concern is this may become a precedent of sorts and not of the healthy variety. The HW was announced last week Thursday, after all.
I understand there's a lot going on and some students may have difficulty submitting on time. A late submission (within an extra 3 days) will only carry a nominal penalty in this case, so go ahead and submit whenever you can.
However, pls note that failure to submit within this time frame will be treated as a non-submission.
Thanks,

I'd also like to mention that the HWs are HCC1, so you are free to collaborate with others in running the analyses. However, the interpretation and write-up should be individual effort only. So, pls pool up your resources to reduce the time pressure for all involved is my suggestion. Sudhir

4 comments:

  1. Hi professor,
    Thank you for the update.

    Some of us are confused about the deadline. Is the deadline tonight or tomorrow night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be Thursday night since it is a soft copy submission. Hard copies would be given in the session break in class on Thursday daytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Professor Voleti,

    Can you please maintain a document that highlights the deadlines on the LMS. It becomes a little confusing if you miss an email by the TA, or hvae to search on the blog.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Madhav,

    The AAs have proposed precisely this and are implementing it as well.

    I have trouble accessing LMS from my workstation which is why almost all LMS related work is handled by the AAs. I am not in favor of mass emails either. Ergo, the blog is my preferred way of communication.

    Sudhir

    ReplyDelete

Constructive feedback appreciated. Please try to be civil, as far as feasible. Thanks.