Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Lecture 2 practice exercise & related excel help

Update:
Santosh writes:
Sir,
I solved the “Beer Bottle homework questions” . But i have done it brutally(took 1 hour for 1st 2 questions). I probably think there are better ways of looking at the data.
I would like to meet you regarding this and clarify my doubts. What would be the right time to meet you.
Thanks
My response:

Did you use pivots, filters, excel lookup functions ?

IMO, it should not have taken that long once you understood the structure of the dataset.
Folks, more generally, these things - lookup, filters, pivot tables - are fairly basic and are typically assumed known by all top MBA program grads  in the real world outside. Always a good idea to learn if you're new to this. Pls see main post below:


Hi all,

Had some queries on how well to know excel from the course viewpoint. I'd say - know your lookup functions and pivot tables at the least. These things are also hugely useful out in the marketplace. Folks, if someone is not comfortable with these excel tools, pls lend a hand and help out. I'm putting forth a few youtube how-to videos also to help the process.

Pls find below the YouTube video link to understand the use of pivot table and vlookup function in excel, which can be of help to understand and solve lecture 2 practice exercise.
vlookup function
Pivot table function

Also, I'd suggest each group create its own wiki to coordinate group activity.
Here's an easy way to get started:
How to make a wiki (with a simple how-to video)

People, if you're not familiar with Wikis, I would strongly encourage you to view the vid to see the gains for yourself. And use it to get more done in phase I of the project. Besides, making a wiki is free, as far as I know.

Sudhir

P.S.
An excel sheet with survey results for Ice-cream data has been putup on the blackboard. Kindly bring it on your laptops to class for lecture 4. The Ice-cream survey itself will be distributed in class as caselet 4.2.

2 comments:

  1. Hey classmates,

    whoever has problems with vlookup, pivot and other basic excel formulas, I would be happy to set up a learning session for you. I could do Tuesday at 9 pm.
    If you are interested please write me a mail to marcandre.lein@googlemail.com, so that I know how many people would like to participate.

    One last question, is it possible to reserve rooms with Beamer at that time?

    Best,

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's kind of you, Marc. Let me know if you actually get enough of a quorum to conduct the session.

    Sudhir

    ReplyDelete

Constructive feedback appreciated. Please try to be civil, as far as feasible. Thanks.