Saturday, November 7, 2009

Aaj ka Mailbag...

Got this email from S.

Dear Prof Sudhir,
I am wondering about the efficacy of 2 A4 sheets for a cheat sheet.
From my understanding of the course, there isn’t much we need to cram for the exams, but when you allow cheat sheet, people waste hours pouring in every definition and detail they can in minute handwriting.

We had a very good model for cheat sheet in Investment Analysis course last term. We were provided cheat sheets with question paper and were not allowed to bring in our own. This cheat sheet had all the necessary formulas.
Please consider following this model. It will be very helpful for the class.

Regards,
S

My response:

Hi S,

Valid points, admittedly.

I am not sure what I would write on an MKTR cheat sheet if I were a student.

You are right in that the exam and the rest of this course (rightly) does not emphasize cramming at all.

I shall verbally reiterate the same thing in class – that only things you absolutely did not understand should appear on the cheat sheet – i.e. the cheat sheet should ideally be blank.

But having said that, I am not inclined to intervene if somebody does want to make notes on a cheat sheet.

I would rather folks not worry about having forgotten some minor thing here or there. Chances are high that the cheat sheet may not get used at all even if folks make one.

Sudhir

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive feedback appreciated. Please try to be civil, as far as feasible. Thanks.