Tuesday, November 3, 2009

CP concerns

Class,

Am receiving some concerns regarding how the CP has been awarded. LEt me quote from an email I replied to just now.

Hi xyz,

I haven’t looked at the CP scores but am surprised [you claim] ‘a lot of students have been awarded “much” higher points’.

The genesis of the CP policy goes back to lecture 1. I promised that its OK to not contribute in class, no points lost. And points would be gained only if something really new, profound or thought-provoking was put up. Hence, generally positive [CP] marks are quite rare. I am surprised you claim ‘a lot of students scored significantly higher’. I’ll have to look into such a discrepancy [if it exists].

The AAs were supposed to give each student 0.25 bonus CP for each day attended (this is separate from attendance) regardless of contribution. [How this works is 7.5% course grade from CP for the first 5 sessions is divided into 1% times 5 sessions for attendance + 0.25% times 5 sessions for bonus CP]. If that has not been given to you, then let me know.

In a class this size, disappointments might very well happen, [but injustice should hopefully not happen as far as feasible].

In any case, it is my explicit attempt to not have CP be a big criterion for the final grade.

Positive CP would be significant for at most 2 or 3 students in a section, for exceptional contribution, over the course of the course.

Sudhir

I don't see *anybody* scoring 5/5 for CP positive karma. Will probably award more bonus CP points to the whole class to cover up the gap.

Another attendance related issue:-
For the first 5 lectures, attendance was recorded and graded. For the second 5 sessions, for the morning sections only, students attendance can be waived if and only if they inform me and the concerned AA before the lecture commences. For the afternoon sections, no such luck. Attendance policy is the same as usual.

Pls be aware this is not because I ama great fan of attendance accounting or wish to keep you in the classroom if you don't want to stay. Its simply because we're over halfway through with 1 system and for consistency and fairness sake, I should apply the same standard throughout.

Hope that clarifies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive feedback appreciated. Please try to be civil, as far as feasible. Thanks.